Saturday, March 12, 2011

Grand Marais Staff Trip March

Two weeks ago the Education staff went on a trip to Grand Marais, MN. It was a great three days spent Up North!

Along the scenic route 61 my car made some stops for some cool sights. This is Charlotte amongst the Superior ice sheets.

It was so neat to see how the ice was melting on the rocks because of the sun.

This was my first time seeing Lake Superior in the winter. It was gorgeous!

The ice sheets were awesome! This is me holding one with the sunlight shining behind.

This is Fabianna, Charlotte, and me. We rode together in my car.

I like this picture because at a quick glance this looks like the summer waves are just rolling in on rocks but actually it is ice!
We stopped for lunch for a winter picnic. Look what table we are using...yep that is from my car! It's built in! :)
Once we got to our final destination, Bally's Creek Cabins, we went for a hike in the woods.

This is the cabin we stayed in. All eight of us. :) There was no electicity (note the lamp), no running water (yep, had to walk out to use the bathroom - sound familiar to my HT friend?), and a wood burning stove to cook and heat the room. It was cozy let's just say. :)
One of the best parts of the place was the sauna! It's the best in the winter!
In a notebook left for people to leave there mark, it said that the chickadees will eat out of your hand. Caitlin and I had to try it! One landed on my hand when I wasn't looking and I jumped and lost the bird seed and the bird. Shoot. But Caitlin was a little more calm for this birdy. :)
Since I dropped all of my seed a squirrel came to keep me company at my feet. I like to look at his whiskers. :)
We visited a past staff member at the Northwoods Folk School in town. We got a tour of the place and made home made pizzas. Yum!
We cooked them in the fire stone oven at the school. They tasted amazing and were done in minutes!
This is the light house I went out to with my college friends in the spring last year. It looks so different in the winter. The sunset was beautiful on the lake.
On our way home we kept our eyes pealed for amazing things. One of which was this eagle!
We stopped at Gooseberry Falls for a short hike. This was so fun because I can now say that I've seen the falls in three seasons. Spring, fall, and winter. The white in this picture is actually ice and snow, not still water. You could hear the falls still moving but could only really see it in certain places.
It was neat to be walking on the fall in places that you couldn't normally when the water is flowing.

The girls at the falls! Here's a good shot of the water still flowing and then going under the ice.

We got to craw behind the frozen falls. It was neat!
Just before getting back to DP we saw a Bard Owl. Can you see his eyes? My first official owl sighting! Pretty sweet!




1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of trips to the Dmytrenko's Cabin. Any time I am up there I think of that. Do you remember? I dont think you ever went up in the winter but those pictures of the ice were really similar to what you could see right outside their cabin!

    ReplyDelete