Thursday, November 11, 2010

Fabianna's Deer





I


I should warn you, if you have a weak stomach or just at lunch or are an advocate for PETA you should not look at this posting.

As some of you know, I have been getting educated on hunting while I'm living up here. Last weekend was Rifle Opener. While I didn't go hunting myself (like I would get anything anyways) but my friend Fabianna did and she got a young buck on Sunday. I'm beginning to think that she is the "Woods Whisperer" because she always sees such amazing things when she's out there. Saturday she saw tons of deer, a porcupine, and a male grouse in full mating display for some chicks. Gees!

Fabi is a great hunter. I asked her how many rounds you typically go through when you are out there. She said, "one." You shoot only when you know you have the shot, when you know you are going to hit a vital organ to kill the deer instantly. Fabi teaching fire safety and hunting camps in the summer and definitely practices what she preaches.

These are the two hunters. Fabi is the one in the red hat.

Charlotte and I pulled off the hide just like they showed us in the video. We are going to donate it to Hides for Habitat which sells the pelt for money and the money goes towards conserving and protecting deer habitat.
After we did all of the butchering this is what was left. We pretty much used it all. After this we tossed it in the woods to be food for the smaller animals.
This is the cutting and packaging team. It was great that we all helped with it. I liked learning all the meat parts and now I have a much better appreciation for the butchers that prepare my meat. :)

After all of our work and clean up Fabi made us an excellent venison dinner. We ate the back straps. (see I learned something!) It was so good! Yum! It was also cool that it was meat that had never touched the fridge. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment