Saturday, December 4, 2010

Winter Tracks at DP

This week we opened up our trails for skiing. Casey started up the groomer and made some tracks. It was great! Blackduck was the first school to use them. I'll get some pictures of the skiers soon. This week I was just making sure I was doing it right. :)

Today I got myself out there to try a couple different trails. It was fun and I was glad I brought my camera so I could share some animal signs with you. I would have taken pictures of some live animals but I scared them away. I saw 2 deer and 2 grouse! So cool!

Mouse:
Mice leave tacks in two ways. The will leave their foot prints like in this photo. What is distinct is that they have a straight line that goes between the prints which is from their tails. Can you find it? Its the one on the right. Its easier to see closer to see at the top.


Mice will also bury tunnels under the snow like this one. The tunnel sometime caves in but then leave this cool maze like this.

Deer:
I took this one for Dad. You can see fresh rubbing from the deer's antlers at the base of this tree. It's sad that the deer had to use such a young tree. I'm guessing though that it must be from a young deer judging by the size of the tree and how high up the rubbing is.

Snow is just so pretty!

Squirrel:
These are classic squirrel tracks that can be found all over at DP! They are like hand prints. So cute!

Squirrels have also been digging up the stored acorns that they worked so had at in the fall. Squirrels can hide 25 nuts in one half hour and will should be able to come back and find about 80% of them. They are so smart!
More tracks to come as I find them. :) Hope you were able to get out and enjoy the snow today! Miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. Mom doesn't think the Richfield squirrels are smart enough to find all their acorns. Why do we have so many Oak trees growing in the grass in the spring? And besides, how do they dig the acorn out of the frozen ground? Hmmmm?
    Dad says the deer pick the young trees because it is easier on their antlers. They like young bark! AND, the deer do more deadly damage to the trees than the frost cracks. Naughty deer!

    ReplyDelete