Monday, October 11, 2010

Brittani visits! 9/25-26

Brittani (who I worked with last year) came to visit me for a day. She pulled in on Saturday night and we just kept it chill because I wasn't feeling so well. We just chatted with the other girls here and then went to bed to get ready for the packed day ahead. I had a bunch of things I wanted to show her and do together. It was SO fun having her here and she was a great sport about coming along to everything!

We got up early (according to Brittani) and went up the tower. It was beautiful! We were lucky to see a turkey vulture soaring around while we were up there. It was pretty sweet!

Here's Britt and I with Big Deep in the background. Notice the colors are starting to change!
Then we made our way to Hackensack for the the big event! The World Chainsaw Wood Carving Contest! Hackensack hosts one every year it is made "world" because two of the competitors are from Japan. It was really interesting and I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking.
We had to pay $5 for parking which I thought was crazy, I mean this isn't Mpls! But we got ride this sweet ferry which was a trailer pulled behind a four wheeler (very high class!). The little boy was riding along with his dad. :)

This was one of the masterpieces done the day before.

This another master piece, viking. All of the pieces from the weekend were bid on at the end.
This was the master piece done by one of the Japanese competitors. Pretty great!

This is the judge going around after he called time. This was a local carver of Hackensack. They had 2 hours to do a bench. He had some extra time. I'm pretty sure he's the guy who does the stuff at Gene Swaggert's office! :)

This guys was my favorite bench. It was of cardinals perched in a tree.

This lady was taking a torch and burning the shaddows on the owls. It was neat to see the different techniques used to get different results.

No comments:

Post a Comment